The beautiful and isolated Lyre River Campground is one of the best spots for camping near Port Angeles and Lake Crescent. The campground might be small, but if you can get a space, it's well worth it!
The campground is located along the peaceful Lyre River and just on the American side of the Salish Sea. Not far from the campground is Murdock Beach, where you can get a great view of Canada across the water.
Location and Getting There
The campground is located at the end of a dirt road, about 26 minutes from Port Angeles. It's very easy to find. Take 112 west from Port Angeles for 20 minutes and turn right on E Lyre River Rd. The campground is at the end of this road.
Lyre River Campground: At a Glance
Location: 46059 Washington 112 Port Angeles, WA 98363
Best Feature: Boarders the Lyre River and is close to the Salish Sea
Fee/Price: No fee is required, only a Discover Pass.
# of sites: 11
Reservations: All sites are first-come-first-serve
Pet Friendly: Yes.
RVs or Tents? Both are allowed, but the max RV length is 20 ft. There is little turnaround space in the campground.
There are only a few amenities at this campground, so we highly recommend checking out some other camping options near Lake Crescent if you're looking for RV hookups, wifi, laundry facilities, etc.
Deck overlooking the river
To Do Nearby
As you likely know very well already, this area of Washington is home to some of the most beautiful lakes, trails, and views that you're going to find anywhere. Here are Traverse the Pacific northwest's top recommendations for what to do near Lyre River Campground:
Visit Lake Crescent
This is perhaps the most popular day trip destination near Port Angeles. The lake is vast, beautiful, and home to multiple campgrounds, like Fairholme Campground. You can even visit the lake in winter!
The popular Lake Angeles Trail is a long, often difficult trail that takes you to the shores of Lake Angeles. It's a popular destination for locals and tourists alike and can get busy in the summer months and on weekdays.
The large and popular Salt Creek Recreation Area is only a few minutes from Lyre Creek Campground and is also home to a large campground-- Salt Creek Campground. Here, you can walk along the beach and see wonderful views of the sea.
Located near the Salt Creek Recreation Area, Crescent Beach is a small, incredibly beautiful beach that evokes the best of the Pacific coast.
Why Visit Lyre River Campground?
1. Stunning scenery – The Lyre River Campground is located in one of the most beautiful areas of Washington State. You can enjoy amazing views of the surrounding forest while you camp.
2. Endless activities – From swimming in the ocean to hiking the many trails and even fishing and canoeing, you'll find something to do no matter what you're into.
3. Unforgettable experiences – From cookouts around the campfire to days spent lounging on the beach or exploring the woods, the memories you'll make at the Lyre River Campground will stay with you for a lifetime.
4. Relaxing atmosphere – Nothing beats camping in nature! Enjoy peaceful days taking in the sounds of the river, birds singing, and trees rustling in the breeze.
5. Fun for the whole family – With so many activities and breathtaking views, you can bring your friends and family and make some wonderful memories together.
You Might Also Like